Happy New Year! I hope everyone had a blessed, safe, and FUN New Year.
So what are your fitness goals this year? What is that one thing you want to do differently this year? If you were already working out and active you may want to improve in some area. I want to MASTER wide grip pull-ups. Those SUCK! They are my kryptonite. I was attempting some pathetic looking pull ups the other day and felt so defeated. Rather then let it get me down I decided to challenge myself with pull-ups this year.
Moral to that story: don’t feel overwhelmed and frustrated when you are in the gym. Everyone has something they are working on. Your progress is different then their progress.
So ready to get started with those workout goals this year?!?
1. Make a plan for how many days you will work out this week. Then GO!
2. Try a lil cardio and a lil strength. My routine consists of about 30 minutes of cardio and 45 minutes of strength training.
3. Switch it up! The treadmill is DULL to me. You may love it. If so stick with it. But just because the treadmill is dull I need that bad boy in my life.
Try tabata sprints. Run as hard and as fast as you can for 20 seconds and rest for 10 seconds. Repeat for 4 minutes. Then walk or jog for 2-3 and start the tabatas again.
Would you rather watch paint dry then treadmill sprints? Yeah me too! So try hills. Jack that treadmill up high and walk quickly for about 2 minutes. Increase it again. And again after 2 more minutes. You will get your heart rate up, promise, cross my heart and hope to die.
4. When strength training focus on a muscle group as your target for the day. There are LOTS of different ways to do this. You can do back and biceps, chest and triceps, and legs. NEVER SKIP LEG DAY! Or you can do arms and shoulders, chest and back, and legs. Check out bodybuilder.com for more exercise tips.
5. Take group fitness classes. I am a group fitness instructor so this is my LOVE! There are so many fun, exciting, and friendly classes to take. I like to recommend cycle (not just because it is like my most favorite in the world) but it is low impact, high intensity, and it is just you and your bike. I think that makes it seem less intimidating. Or try and AMAZING class called R.I.P.P.E.D. It has strength, cardio, resistance, kickboxing, and core and the music will blow your mind. If dance is your thing you would probably like Zumba. My other Love is TRX. This will build your strength and improve your core using your body weight. Try all the classes! I challenge you this year to try 1 new class a month.
6. I will make getting started easy for you! Try this squat challenge this month. This can be done in your home or the gym. It does not have to be completed all at once. But you will see the number of squats and lunges to complete through the day.
Last tip: Have Fun! If it is not fun! Find me we will party together while we drop it like a squat.
- What is all this buzz on “Tabata” Training?? (nedufitness.wordpress.com)
- 6 Strength Exercises for Women (strengthandphysique.blogspot.com)
- Behold…the Wonders of Tabata! (watercoolerwellness.wordpress.com)
- 50 Ways to Make Exercise More Fun (wisebread.com)